Belly Dance Classes
Inhabit your hips! Feel like a goddess when you take belly dance class with Annya Ishtara!
Belly dance classes begin again on January 12, 2015. To get the most current details about classes and performances, Subscribe to Annya Ishtara’s newsletter.
“I love Annya’s belly dance class!”
Carolyn, Taos, NM
“Annya’s classes have had a very positive, life-giving effect on me.”
Anne, New Mexico
- Dates: January 12 – February 23, 2015
- Time: Mondays, 5:30-7 PM
- Location: Qigong Academy See below for address and directions.
- Cost: Try out your first class on Monday, January 12 for $12! Or sign up for the full 7 week session: January 12 – February 23. The cost for 7 weeks is $84 if you sign up on January 12. You can also sign up on Monday, January 19 for the remaining 6 weeks for $78. For this option, you’ll still need to pay $12 for the class on January 12.
- Please note that January 12 will be the only drop-in class of this session.
Have you always wanted to try belly dance, but didn’t think you could do it? Well now is the time and this is the class!
Learn basic belly dance moves and simple dance combinations to free your hips, rejuvenate your body, and satisfy your soul. This is the perfect class for brand new students and for dancers with some experience who are looking to review and refine belly dance basics.
Come join the fun on Monday, January 12, 2015, 5:30 – 7 PM to discover how belly dance can enrich your life!
“Learning belly dance with Annya Ishtara has made disciplined muscle toning fun and inspirational, and as well, has helped me find great joy in the embodiment of the feminine through graceful rhythmic movement. Annya is a highly skilled dancer and teacher!”
Julia Ruth Claus, LMT Taos, NM
- Time: Mondays, 4 – 5:15 PM
- Location: Qigong Academy See below for address and directions.
- Cost: $35 for a 3 week month, $45 for a 4 week month or $56 for a 5 week month, starting at the beginning of each month or $14 per single class.
- This class is by permission only. Please contact Annya Ishtara for specific requirements if you wish to be considered for this class: annyaish@Annya-Ishtara-dance.com.
Students in this class rehearse choreographies for performance preparation in an ongoing format.
- Dates: Tuesdays, January 6 – 27, February 3 – 24, 10:30 – 11:30 AM.
- Location: Qigong Academy, Studio 2 (2 doors to the left down the hall from the original Qigong Academy) See below for address and directions.
- Cost: $10 per individual class. Or $35 for 4 Tuesday classes.
Start your day by bringing out your inner sensual goddess in this gentle and profound stretch class especially for women. This class is a synthesis of breath, full body stretching, stretches to specifically open up the hips and pelvis, as well as pelvic floor and gentle abdominal work.
Feel radiant, energized, and grounded all day long by this meditative class, which has been described as “Luxurious,” “Delicious,” and “Subtle but profound.” This class is a wonderful compliment to learning belly dance.
Please wear comfortable clothes for movement.
“We met for an hour and I learned so much! While we danced together, Annya observed my style and was the first teacher to ever help me figure out what my strengths and weaknesses were! … Her comments were thought provoking and positive – not in a false, cheerleader way – but in a way that led me to believe that she really understood the mechanics of dancing.”
-Pat Spark, Spark Fiber Arts, Albany, Oregon
Annya Ishtara offers private lessons in person and on Skype in Belly Dance and Rajasthani Gypsy/Kalbelia Dance. In the focused time of your private lesson, we can really delve into the nitty-gritty of what will help you the most at this time in your belly dance evolution. In private lessons, all levels of students have gained great benefit from my personalized instruction in the areas of:
- in-depth understanding of movements
- perfecting technique
- feeling more confident with improvisation
- developing emotional expression in belly dance
- personal study in areas of belly dance outside the scope of regular class
- perfecting their mastery of props such as veil, double veil, and sword
- preparing for performances and other special dance projects
I find that private lessons are more successful when students are clear on the topic(s) they want to work on, so please come prepared. If I have not met you before your private lesson, I will ask you what you want to work on and possibly to see a video of you dancing before we meet. This is to insure that you and I make the most of our time together.
How to Schedule Your Private Lesson
If this sounds like what you are wanting in your belly dance training at this time, or if you have other belly dance topics in mind for a private lesson, please contact me to schedule your private lesson: annyaish@Annya-Ishtara-dance.com.
Private lessons take place at Qigong Academy in downtown Taos, NM (see below for address) or by Skype from the comfort of your own home.
- Cost is $40/hour for 1 person in person or by Skype.
- Semi-private lessons for 2 people are $60/hour.
- Private Lesson Package: Save $30 when you pay for 4 private lessons at once. Cost is $130, which means you save $30 (almost the cost of 1 lesson). You have 8 weeks from the time of purchase to complete the lessons.
- Please e-mail Annya Ishtara to set up your private lesson: annyaish(at)Annya-Ishtara-dance(dot)com.
All classes are held at Qigong Academy, inside Yucca Plaza, 216 Paseo del Pueblo Norte, Suite H, Taos, NM. The Women’s Subtle Stretch Class is held in Qigong Academy Studio 2, which is 2 doors to the left down the hall from the original Qigong Academy studio, in Suite F.
Yucca Plaza is across from the north end of Kit Carson Park in downtown Taos, NM, on the west side of Paseo del Pueblo Norte, the main street of town. Enter Qigong Academy through the double glass doors facing the parking lot.
Students wear yoga pants or tights or other stretchy, comfortable pants and a close fitting top that allows range of motion to be seen. Bare bellies are not required! It is highly recommended that you bring a scarf or shawl to tie around your hips so that you can feel where your hips are and so that when you look in the mirror you can clearly see your hip movements. I also have coin hipscarves for sale in class. In addition to being fun, many students find the auditory feedback of the coins with their hip movements to be helpful in their learning.
Payment and Refund Policy
Payment is due at or before the first class of a series unless other arrangements are made prior to class. Drop-in classes are paid in full at the time of class.
The Advanced Belly Dance Repertory Class and the Women’s Subtle Stretch Class are ongoing month by month. Pay by the month to help yourself make the commitment to come to class and for the best price. Or you can drop in to the Women’s Subtle Stretch Class for more flexibility at the price listed.
There are no refunds unless I cancel the class, and there are no make-up classes.
Payment may be made in cash or check. No credit cards accepted at this time.
There is a “no observers” policy; however, you are welcome to try out the Belly Dance 101 Class for $12 on January 12, 2015. The Women’s Subtle Stretch Class is offered on a drop-in basis for $10/class for women who would like to try one class.
To stay up to date with Annya Ishtara’s most current belly dance class schedule and events, Subscribe to Annya Ishtara’s newsletter.
© 2015 by Annya Ishtara